- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Comparison of 'The Monkeys Paw' by W.W.Jacobs and 'The Red Room' by H G Wells.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Ghost stories have been around for hundreds of years and are written to scare and to excite people. People read Ghost stories because they enjoy being scared. This essay is about the comparisons between two quite different ghost stories written by two different authors: - 'The Monkeys Paw' by W.W.Jacobs and 'The Red Room' by H G Wells.
'The Red Room' is in many ways a stereotypical ghost story, set in a very big, dark and mysterious building, a castle in the middle of nowhere, written as a first person narrative. The characters are all very old and strange. They are all deformed or have something wrong with them making them quite scary. The author H G Wells is very famous for writing science fiction novels.
In this story there are three background characters, two men and one female, all of them old. We are given very vague descriptions of them so are made to imagine the rest. The three of them are very weird, deformed characters. One of the men is described as an old man with a withered arm, the other is described as having a bad cough and wears an eye patch. No description is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
H.G. Wells (view all)
- Discuss The Elements Of 'The Time Machine ' By H G Wells. Wh...
- “Although Science fiction must be inventive it stil...
- The Red Room - Analyse the short story 'The Red Room' by H.G...
- The Sniper.
- How does H.G. Wells use the medium of Science fiction to com...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.