- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Consider the character of Prospero and show how he used his position to control many of the characters in the play and how his actions contribute to the dramatic effectiveness.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Tempest essay
Consider the character of Prospero and show how he used his position to control many of the characters in the play and how his actions contribute to the dramatic effectiveness. How do his actions and the attitude of the characters to him relate to the events and thinking of Shakespeare's day?
In the Tempest, the character of Prospero is the protagonist. Prospero is the father of Miranda and has spent twelve years on the island since he was usurped from being the Duke of Milan. Prospero is a powerful man, which makes him a good leader. He is very knowledgeable because of the books he read. He also has control, because he can be harsh and firm but also virtuous towards others. Prospero would also seem a cruel character to a modern day audience because of sense of control and harshness he has over the other characters. However this would have been accepted, as the traits of a good leader because in Shakespeare's day being a good leader would entail being harsh and cruel towards others so therefore Prospero was looked upon as a good leader. This connects to James the first (the King
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
The Tempest (view all)
- The Tempest - Prospero character analysis - How do his actio...
- Explore the dramatic impact of the tempest scene in Act 1, S...
- Explore Shakespeare's presentation of Prospero in The Tempes...
- An Analysis of the relationship between Caliban and Prospero...
- How is fate used by Shakespeare, in the Tempest, to change a...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.