- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Consider the dramatic function of Inspector Goole in the play “An Inspector Calls “ by J.B.Priestly.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Consider the dramatic function of Inspector Goole in the play "An Inspector Calls " by J.B.Priestly.
I will be analysing the dramatic function of Inspector Goole in the play "An Inspector Calls" by Priestly. The play was written in 1945 but was set in the past, in 1912.
The Inspector is a dramatic device in the play as without him there would be no play. He is used as a dramatic device by Priestly because he controls the play from onstage, at all times throughout the play the Inspector is in charge, he is like a director who is mixed in with the actors. The actual Inspector is never explained in the play and I will be presenting some of my ideas on why and who the Inspector is in this essay.
When the Inspector first arrives he is dressed oddly, in the 1992 theatre production of the play he is dressed in 1945 clothing when arriving outside a house in 1912, this gives the audience a clue as to how mysterious and otherworldly the Inspector is. In the 1992 National Theatre Production the Inspector is clothed in a long overcoat and has his
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
J.B. Priestley (view all)
- EVA Smith's DIARY ENTRIES
- Discuss The Role Of Eric Birling In The Play: An Inspector C...
- Inspector Calls - Sheila Birling character review.
- Priestley presents ideas about responsibility in an 'An Insp...
- Examine the way Inspector Goole is presented in "An Ins...
- An Inspector Calls: Do you think Mrs Birling is more to blam...
- An Inspector Calls Extract - Act One. W h a t d o e s t ...
- Explore the Development of the Character of Sheila in 'An In...
- How does Priestly portray Mr Birling in Act 1?
- How is Eva Smith presented in the play? What is the function...
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo