- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Consider the relationship between men and women in the short stories we looked at. How are these relationships influenced by the social and historical situations of the time?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Wide Reading Coursework
Consider the relationship between men and women in the short stories we looked at.
How are these relationships influenced by the social and historical situations of the time?
I believe that both of these stories strongly reflect the times they were written. Lawrence was born in Nottinghamshire. His story "Tickets Please" is set in his home region of Nottinghamshire, during the war, but he speaks of it mainly in a negatively way. Thomas Hardy was born in 1840 and like Lawrence in a rural area. However, when Hardy is writing "Tony Kytes, the Arch Deceiver, " he writes before the Industrial Revolution, and about the unspoilt countryside. Both men were unique writers for the time, because of their individual and original styles. Within these two stories there are similar settings and themes, relationships between men and women being a main one. Despite the similarities in the storylines, these stories have totally different outcomes.
One of the main comparisons that can be made in these two stories is the setting. "Looked at the trees, and beasts, and birds, and insects, " this is how Thomas Hardy sees the countryside. Hardy wrote this
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Thomas Hardy (view all)
- Compare the ways in which the authors of ‘The With...
- “Tony Kytes the Arch Deceiver” by Thomas H...
- Comparing the poems 'Neutral Tones' and 'Absence'
- Thomas Hardy's short story, 'the withered arm'.
- "How both authors portray how women are deceived by men...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.