- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Cream Cracker Under The Sette , Alan Bennet, Talking Heads
The first 200 words of this essay...
How does Alan Bennett make the audience feel empathy for Doris in A cream Cracker under the Settee?
A cream cracker under the settee is a dramatic monologue written by Alan Bennett in 1987 for television, as part of his Talking Heads series for the BBC.
Doris is in her seventies. This hints at her being old and vulnerable in need of care and assistance. Moreover, she outlines that she does not "attempt to dust", this is maybe because she is physically unable or consumed by her thoughts.
Zulema says that her "dustings days are over". This makes you feel sorry for Doris and deeply empathise with her. She may have a fear of dirt - rupophobia or she may just be an exceptionally sanitary person.
Furthermore, Zulema exploits Doris' old age and feelings by saying she "doesn't have the sense she was born with", this maybe true but it is inconsiderate towards Doris' feelings. Then again, Zulema does have the right to speak her mind, as she has to put up with Doris's nagging all week.
Doris is never satisfied with Zulema's housekeeping saying, "Zulema doesn't dust, she half-dusts" This emphasises Doris obsession
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Writing to Inform, Explain and Describe (view all)
- How does Shakespeare show the changing relationship between ...
- Narrative essay 1
- Coursework Assignment: Creative Writing
- Language use study -texting,spoken and online conversations...
- English Horror Story - Creative Writing Coursework I was dr...
- Story writing (Alien Mysteries Introduction)
- The novel, Looking for Alibrandi, the documentary, Australia...
- Writing about sibling rivalry
- The moment had passed - our school farewell party.
- A Walk Through The Woods
- Morning of the execution. Within a few hours, her brother w...
- Describe a person you admire. Though I have lived a colou...
- Supermarket Description - Sleek, automatic, glass doors slid...
- A Foreboding Night. Ian sat on the curb, his hands buried d...
- (Descriptive Writing) Describe the sights and sounds of a ma...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.