- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Critical appreciation of Robert Browning poems.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Harpal Bal 11G1 GCSE Literature Coursework
Pre- 1900 Poetry
With close reference to the text, Write a detailed
Critical appreciation of Robert Browning pomes.
"My Last Duchess and Porphoryia's Lover"
Robert Browning was one of the great poets of the Victorian age. He was on born 7th May 1812 in Camberwell and he died on the 2nd December 1889. Robert Browning got secretly married to Elizabeth Barrett in 1846 and went on to live in Italy.
Browning became an admirer of Elizabeth's Barrett's poetry in 1844. He began corresponding with her by letter. This was the start of one of the world's most famous romances. Their courtship lasted until 1846 when they were married. The couple moved to Italy that same year.
Robert Browning did not become recognized as a poet, until after Elizabeth's death in 1861. After which, he was honoured for the rest of his life as a literary figure. Although Robert Browning wrote in many poetic forms, his most successful was the dramatic monologue. In his monologues, he spoke in the voice of an imaginary or historical character. Most of his monologues portray people at
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Robert Browning (view all)
- Browning's philosophy of life.
- How does Browning present the idea of love in 'The Laborator...
- How does Robert Browning use language and structure to creat...
- Browning's poems often deal with the complexities of human p...
- I will compare the characters in the four poems Kid, Havisha...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.