- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Critical Appreciation: Porphyria’s Lover
The first 200 words of this essay...
IB Subsidiary English Mr. Bacon
Critical Appreciation: Porphyria's Lover
"Porphyria's Lover" is a Victorian poem written by Robert Browning and narrates the occasion in which a man strangles his lover to death as consequence of his rather special outlook on love, action catalysed by the climaxed situation they were both engaged in. The poem transmits an overall tone of honesty, as if it were a confession, factor clearly appreciated from the macabre detail in which the lyric voice describes the corpse: :"And I untightened next the tress/ About her neck: her cheek once more/ Blushed bright beneath my burning kiss" to the fact that we are being told the story the morning after, while the body is still lying on our narrator. This will help us understand the peculiar and unusual perspective Browning had on love and death.
The poem can be thematically separated into three sections, even though structurally the whole text corresponds to a single stanza, due to their content. The first section, the shortest one, describes the weather Porphyria is out before entering where her lover is. The second one narrates the encounter of the couple and the third
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Love Poetry (view all)
- Monologue on Havisham
- 'Twickenham Garden' by John Donne is a meta-physical poem
- Cousin Kate & Porphyrias Lover - analysis of how love i...
- Analysis of 'A woman to her lover' by Christina Walsh
- Silver Wedding - Marriage Birth And Death
- The poem first love is written by John Clare. The thoughts h...
- How do two poems you have studied explore the differences be...
- "Loves Diet" by John Donne
- The poem Go and catch a falling star is written by the humor...
- Love & Loss - analyse and compare two different love and...
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.