- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Describe, Examine and Analyse how Willy Russell uses dramatic devices to illustrate issues in "Shirley Valentine".
The first 200 words of this essay...
Describe, Examine and Analyse how Willy Russell uses dramatic devices to illustrate issues in "Shirley Valentine"
The 1980's was a time of great change in Britain, but it was the changes to who worked,
where they worked, and how society changed. In this play "Shirley Valentine", by Willy
Russell, many different aspects of the change are shown on an average forty something
housewife. The changes included the privatisation of public companies and economic
growth, but the factors that would have impacted on Shirley the most would have been
the rise of women out of the home and into work, feminism and the package holiday. The
play also highlights stereotypes, which it then (in most cases collapses). Audiences would
have been able to relate to these issues and so would be able to understand and enjoy the
play more than if it had been about everyday life in somewhere like the Amazon
Russell himself was born in Liverpool in the 1940's to working class parents. His parents
wanted him to get on in life, and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Shirley Valentine (view all)
- Traditions in "The lottery" by Shirley Jackson.
- Shirley Valentine
- How do the dramatic techniques used in the play help audienc...
- Shirley Valentine
- Shirley Valentine.
- Shirley Valentine. How does Russell invite the audience to s...
- How does Willy Russell make the audience sympathise with Shi...
- How does Willy Russell make is sympathise for Shirley Valent...
- How Does Willy Russell Invite us to Fell Sympathy towards Sh...
- How does the writer, Willy Russell encourage us to sympathis...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo