- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Describe the defensive features of Rochester Castle before 1215.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Describe the defensive features of Rochester Castle before 1215
Castles were built for many different purposes; they were not only used for power, but also for living and to fight battles. The Normans were the first people in Britain to build stone castles, but usually the first Norman castles were made of wood and earth. When the Normans came over from France they needed to protect themselves from the English and this is the reason why castles were built. Castles were built to control the country, for the most powerful people to either try and gain or for their defense. As castles were so difficult to enter, lots of people wanted to live in them for their defense. One of the main reasons castles were defensive was because they had thick walls, which attackers would find it difficult to break. Another major important defensive feature of Rochester castle is that it is situated on Boley hill, which is the highest point in Rochester.
The River Medway is on one side of the castle; this is a defensive feature because attackers wouldn't be able to cross the river with heavy items they
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Aldous Huxley (view all)
- Show how the relationship between Lorraine, John and Mr. Pig...
- Brave New World
- The Crucible - The Marriage of John and Elizabeth Proctor
- In Act IV Proctor says, "I cannot mount the gibbet like...
- Describe what psychologists mean by the terms schema, and sc...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.