- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Differences and similarities between 'The Landlady' by Roald Dahl and 'The Adventure of the Speckled Band' by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Wider Reading Essay by David Marsh
There are many differences and a few similarities between 'The Landlady' by Roald Dahl and 'The Adventure of the Speckled Band' by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, I am going to write about them and to try to explain them.
The first difference is the times in which the stories were written. 'The Landlady' was written in the 1960's, but the 'Adventure of the Speckled Band was written prior to the 1900's.
Roald Dahl was often accused of under developing his characters but in his defence he said 'that a short story should entertain.' A reason for the character of 'The Landlady' being under developed is that 'The Landlady' is a 'one off' story, therefore it would be unnecessary to give the character of the Landlady detailed characteristics as it is never going to be used in another story, also in a short story, by its nature, it is short and does not have the time and length to develop characters as a longer novel would.
Sherlock Holmes to a 20th century audience is surprisingly popular. People who have never read a Sherlock Holmes story still recognize the name and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Arthur Conan Doyle (view all)
- Summary Of The Speckled Band
- Hounds Of The Baskervilles - The relationship between Sherlo...
- Write a diary entry or entries as if you are Helen Stoner. R...
- Diary of Helen Stoner
- What are the features which make a good detective story?
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.