- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Discuss The Role Of Eric Birling In The Play: An Inspector Calls.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to JB Priestley and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Discuss The Role Of Eric Birling In The Play: An Inspector Calls
Eric, I think, plays an extremely important role in the play: An Inspector Calls, probably because of his difference in personality from the other protagonists.
Eric is a young man who likes getting his own way and being the centre of attention. I know this because he says things like "Look here I've had enough of this," which shows that he is willing to take control of a situation and impose his views on others, making him a key character in the play. Because of his assertiveness he is able to capture the audience's attention and therefore keeps the people watching gripped, which obviously proves to be quite useful, when trying to create a successful play.
At the beginning of act one, all the characters are quite pleased with themselves as they have just enjoyed a meal, to celebrate the future wedding of Sheila Birling and Gerald Croft. It is difficult to assume what Eric's personality is like at first because he has been seemingly influenced by drink. This, I think, is obvious because after reading the stage directions I can see that "Eric
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
J.B. Priestley (view all)
- "We don't live alone. We are members of one body. We ar...
- The Meaning Of An Inspector Calls - J.B. Priestly
- An Inspector Calls Overview and Personal Response
- Explain how Priestely Uses the Characters to Show Us the Soc...
- How does Priestly reveal his views about the responsibility?...
- An Inspector Calls: Do you think Mrs Birling is more to blam...
- An Inspector Calls Extract - Act One. W h a t d o e s t ...
- Explore the Development of the Character of Sheila in 'An In...
- How does Priestly portray Mr Birling in Act 1?
- How is Eva Smith presented in the play? What is the function...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'