- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Discuss the techniques that Arthur Miller uses to create dramatic tension in Acts 1&2 of "All My Sons"?
Not what you were searching for?
The first 200 words of this essay...
How does Arthur Miller create a sense of normality with an undercurrent of unease [Act 1]?
(Intro. Stage directions. Settings/ context. Joe Keller. Conclusion)
During "all my sons", Miller creates a sense of normality with a undercurrent of unease using several different techniques including: the use of setting, stage directions and dramatic tension between characters. All of course being subsequently keeping the audience enthralled in the play. The plot its self breeds tension, revolving around the two major areas of the family conflict: the disagreement within the family over the pending marriage and at the core of the play, the conflict between father and son. But by definition Drama Plays are by nature about conflict, in the play 'All My Sons' (ASM) has two levels a surface gloss of normality and a submerged latent
The opening of act 1 paints a scene of leisurely, relaxed life, untouched by the horrors/ deprivation of the recent war (world War II). The whole setting itself has sense of normality and unease which is created by Miller for effect for Act 1 is in an American regular back yard, (this is done so the audience can relate and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Arthur Miller (view all)
- "The Crucible" reflects not only the time it was s...
- Who was to blame for the death of John Proctor?
- Catherine's Monologue
- Consider the relationship between John Proctor and Abigail W...
- Discuss the role that grudges and rivalries play within The ...
- The presentation of Catherine and Beatrice in Arthur Millers...
- Marco and Rodolpho- A view from the bridge
- How is Eddie Represented in 'A View from the Bridge'?
- In some sense, 'The Crucible' has the arrangement of a trage...
- Death of a Salesman. What do you think makes this conversati...
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Zoey. University Student.