- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Educating Rita - Discuss the changes in Rita throughout this text, are these changes good or bad and how do they effect her relationship with Frank?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Discuss the changes in Rita throughout this text, are these changes good or bad and how do they effect her relationship with Frank?
"Educating Rita" displays the major changes that occur in the main character, an initially narrow minded, outspoken and socially naïve Liverpudlian trapped by her working class life. Rita thinks an increase in intelligence and worldly knowledge will change this, and set her "free". She strives to change classes, and although is different from her working class peers, she still isn't ready to be accepted as middle class. She aims to reach her goal through an Open University course, yet naively thinks knowing what books to read and clothes to wear will allow her to immediately become accepted as part of her chosen social class. Change is a major part of the play, affecting Rita in both positive and negative ways. It shows how the influence of education helps to bring about these changes, and how eventually Rita is able to overcome and negative problems and settle on a happy balance. Rita is also molded by her tutor, Frank, and learns a great deal from him, whilst also teaching him in many ways.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Educating Rita (view all)
- Short questions and answers from Educating Rita
- Discuss the themes of social class and education in Educatin...
- What have frank and rita gained and lost by the end of the p...
- How does Russell reveal to the audience the change in Rita's...
- Outline the changes Rita goes through during the play "...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.