- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Educating Rita - summary.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Educating Rita is a play written by Willy Russell, it is set in Liverpool in the early 80's. It is written to highlight the difference in class between an upper class lecturer, and a working class student. The play shows how Rita changes her class, but perhaps also loses some of her values due to the class change. Willy Russell uses Rita to explore the theme of educating; it also shows a woman going onto further education, something that was not common it the time the play was written.
In the first act, Rita is presented as a working class woman, brought up in a working class environment. She has a strong Liverpool accent, and a typical Liverpool dry sense of humour, emphasising her working class existence. Rita and Frank contrast greatly, Frank is a well-educated upper class lecturer who is well spoken,' I think it is beautiful', Rita uses colloquial language is stress that she is working class,' that's fucking rubbish', these are strong bold words which shock the audience and help them to see the huge changes Rita goes through during the play.
During the first scene Rita is dependant
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Educating Rita (view all)
- Willy Russell's attitude to education as revealed in Educati...
- Educating Rita - What do we learn about Rita's character fro...
- Is Frank a good teacher or a pathetic drunkard?
- How do experiences of Sandra in 'The Darkness Out There' and...
- Billy's Relationships with women of his own age in the play ...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.