- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
Willy Russell's play "Educating Rita" only uses one main setting and two main characters. Some people may think that these would make the play seem boring. Russell actually makes the play quite interesting and entertaining by using dramatic devices such as the whiskey bottle and the telephone call. He does this to give us as much information as possible about the characters and their personalities.
The play, which is set in the early 1980s, deals with the clashes between education and culture. It is about a middle-aged university lecturer called Frank. He is currently in a relationship with Julia. This relationship is not going too well as Frank is an alcoholic and would much rather go to the pub than go home to Julia.
There is also Rita a 26-year-old woman who didn't have a good education when she left school due to her parents' working class background. She is now keen and eager to learn even though her husband Denny thinks that it is time for her to settle down and have children. Rita has set her sights higher than this.
Rita is currently working as a hairdresser, but wants to achieve so much
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Educating Rita (view all)
- In Montana 1948, written by Larry Watson, the events that to...
- Educating Rita: Rita Character Analysis
- Educating Rita - Analyse the character frank and his attitud...
- "In Montana 1948 by Larry Watson, Wesley Hayden is esse...
- Montana 1948 traces David's journey from innocence to an awa...
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student