- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Enduring Love - by Ian McKewen - Discuss the changing relationship between Clarissa and Joe.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Ian Mcewan and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Enduring Love - by Ian McKewen
Discuss the changing relationship between Clarissa and Joe.
The relationship between Clarissa and Joe changes throughout the story. The only sorrow at first is the fact that Clarissa couldn't have children, but despite this they still had a steady, satisfying relationship and were very happy, contented and loving. After the balloon incident and Joe learns of Jed's obsession, and in turn becomes obsessed himself, the relationship between Clarissa and him deteriorates. Slowly at first but then rapidly until they no longer live as lovers, but more so as a matter of having to. Trust and communication breaks down and eventually Clarissa moves out. However there is still love between them, and once the truth is discovered they learn there is still a chance to work at their relationship to piece things together again.
From the very beginning in chapter one it starts with Joe talking about Clarissa, giving the impression of their relationship as he talks of a romantic picnic alone together that he had thoughtfully prepared. On page three Joe states:
"Even without the balloon the day would have been marked for memory, through the most pleasurable
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Ian McEwan (view all)
- Enduring love analysing chapter 1.
- "Enduring Love gracefully bridges genres; it's a psycho...
- What is the significance/purpose of Mrs. Logan in Enduring L...
- Consider the presentation of Clarissa in the novel 'Enduring...
- Explore the ways in which Mc Ewan presents obsession in Endu...
- "Enduring Love". One of the first things we learn ...
- Through a close analysis of the description of the temple, c...
- "Enduring Love" Questions
- What are our impressions of the narrator in the opening sect...
- Obsession is a major theme in the novel Enduring Love by Ian...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.