- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Examine the way Inspector Goole is presented in "An Inspector Calls". What is his role in the play?
The first 200 words of this essay...
"He never seemed like an ordinary Police
Examine the way Inspector Goole is presented in
"An Inspector Calls". What is his role in the play?
"An Inspector Calls", by J.B. Priestley, is not an average murder mystery. In a normal murder mystery there are three things: someone is really dead; someone is really a murderer and the police inspector is genuine. In "An Inspector Calls" none of these is certain. The play does however work as a murder mystery because it keeps us guessing right till the end.
The inspector in "An Inspector Calls" operates unlike an ordinary police inspector. His unusual methods lead Birling and Gerald to believing that he is nothing but a clever hoaxer: "Now he has to work a trick on us." There is some truth in what Birling says, in that once the inspector has shocked them, they will do whatever he says and believe whatever he says. Now, the inspector has dominance over the other characters. The inspector constantly repeats details about the girl's death to distress the other characters:
"This afternoon a young woman drank some disinfectant,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
J.B. Priestley (view all)
- Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. Birling and Sheil...
- Discussthe role of the Inspector in the play 'An Inspector C...
- How does Priestley show a difference in attitudes of differe...
- How does J B Priestley use the Inspector as a voice for soci...
- How does J.B. Priestley use Eva Smith/ Daisy Renton as a dra...
- An Inspector Calls: Do you think Mrs Birling is more to blam...
- An Inspector Calls Extract - Act One. W h a t d o e s t ...
- Explore the Development of the Character of Sheila in 'An In...
- How does Priestly portray Mr Birling in Act 1?
- How is Eva Smith presented in the play? What is the function...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.