- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Explain the emergence and rise of the beast in Lord of the flies by William Golding.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Explain the emergence and rise of the beast in Lord of the flies by William Golding: Introduction
(1911 - 1993)
Golding wrote Lord of the Flies shortly after learning of the horrors of World War II and the Holocaust. Here is some information about him.
He was born in 1911 at Saint Columb Minor in Cornwall, England, Sir William Gerald Golding was educated at the Marlborough Grammar School, where his father taught, and later at Brasenose College, Oxford. Although educated to be a scientist at the wishes of his father, he soon developed a great interest in literature, becoming first devoted to Anglo-Saxon and then writing poetry. At Oxford he studied English literature and philosophy. Following a short period of time in which he worked at a settlement house and in small theatre companies as both an actor and a writer, Golding became a schoolmaster at Bishop Wordsworth's School in Salisbury. During the Second World War he joined the Royal Navy and was involved in the sinking of the German battleship Bismarck, but following the war he returned to Bishop Wordsworth's School, where he taught until the early sixties.
In 1954, Golding
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
William Golding (view all)
- Lord of the flies. How does Golding make Simon such a signi...
- Lord of the Flies
- Fear of the Unknown- Lord of the Flies
- How does Golding present his characters in the opening chapt...
- How much Sympathy do you have for Piggy in Chapter One?
- Golding - Lord of the Flies extract - confronting the beast.
- I will explore how the themes of civilisation and barbarity ...
- Lord of the Flies -Symbolism and the Character of Jack.
- Macbeth by Shakespeare and Lord of the Flies by William Gold...
- How Does Golding Use The Island As A Character In Lord Of Th...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.