- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Explore the presentation of 'the woman in black
The first 200 words of this essay...
Explore the presentation of 'the woman in black' in Susan Hill's novel of the same name. Comment on the methods used by Hill to show how she affects the other characters in the book.
'The Woman in Black' is written in the style of a classic ghost story. There must always be a purpose for the ghost to haunt, atmosphere, a haunted house and a sceptic who does not believe in ghosts. The woman in black has a serious underlying purpose. The novel starts with a scene so normal, so familiar, so safe and builds up to a frightening crescendo that will "haunt" the reader long after the book is put down. The Woman in Black is presented throughout the novel as a woman seeking revenge on the innocent. She is angry with society and instils fear, tension and horror in all who come into contact with her. I am going to explore the appearances of the woman in black and how she affects both the reader and other characters within the novel.
It was at the funeral that Arthur Kipps first saw the tall, emaciated woman dressed in black. The mood is solemn, cold, sad
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Miscellaneous (view all)
- An inspector calls Arthur Birling Analysis
- symbolism in the kite runner
- Lamb To The Slaughter Essay
- Inherit the Wind - Creationism vs. Evolution
- Vendetta and School Teachers Guest
- What imagined world or reality does Eddie seek to uphold in ...
- Analyse George Bernard Shaws presentation of transformation ...
- Of Mice and Men
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee is a novel that teaches ...
- Comparing the depiction of women in literature. The two piec...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.