- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Explore the variety of attitudes towards love and marriage in regards to chapters one, nineteen, thirty-four and fifty-eight in 'Pride and Prejudice'.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen was born in 1755. She was the seventh of eight children. The family was well educated and affectionate. Her father was a clergyman and they lived at the rectory in the parish of Steventon in Hampshire. She wrote several novels one of which was 'Pride and Prejudice'. It is full of romance, drama and humour. The novel was set in pre 1914 in a society were women had no vote, were unable to voice their opinion and had no income of their own so they had to rely on their husbands.
'Pride and Prejudice' stands upon the affirmations of love and marriage. Jane Austin believed that the perfect relationship existed between two people who respected and loved each other. She illustrates the idea of a perfect relationship and also demonstrates how some relationships are not ideal.
I am going to explore the variety of attitudes towards love and marriage in regards to chapters one, nineteen, thirty-four and fifty-eight.
The opening sentence immediately links money and marriage without referring to love.
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Jane Austen (view all)
- Pride And Prejudice:Why is the news of the elopement of Lydi...
- Mayor of Casterbridge - Character Study - Susan Henchard
- Charlotte Lucas says: "Happiness in marriage is entirel...
- Jane Austen's use of letters in 'Pride and Prejudice' ...
- How does Jane Austen reflect the social and historical conte...
- Comparative Study of Jane Austens novel Pride and Prejudice ...
- Analysis of a passage from "Sense and Sensibility"
- Discuss the use Jane Austen makes of letters in her novel Pr...
- Sense and Sensibility Chapter 4 Summary
- Compare the delivery of and response to offers of marriage i...
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.