- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
GCSE English coursework: Short Gothic Tales
The first 200 words of this essay...
GCSE English coursework
In these two short stories both authors write gothic tale stories. Both authors use gothic tale features e.g they use darkness, isolation and use of senses. Both authors' u similar methods to create tension e.g. they both use repetition and short sentences. They both use their senses e.g. in the monkeys paw they use their sense of hearing and feeling, for example they hear the door knocking and use a lot of sight through Mr.White cant see where the monkeys paw is and he use his sense of feeling to try and find it on the floor. In the signalman they use a lot of feeling, for example
"It was made of a clammy stone, that became oozier and wetter as I went down."
In "The monkeys paw" W.W.Jacobs creates tension several times e.g. when the sergeant-major says
"Hold it up in your right hand and wish aloud" then says
"But I warn you of the consequences," and then Mr.White wishes straight after. He makes a lot of tension when the man is walking back and forth outside of Mr.White' gate, and then when he finally
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
The Signalman (view all)
- The Signalman
- Examine the setting and atmosphere in three Gothic Stories: ...
- Compare the way H.G.Wells and Charles Dickens create tension...
- Charles Dickins the signal man
- The Old Nurse(TM)s Story by Elizabeth Gaskell and The Signal...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.