- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Grapes of Wrath Analysis.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Grapes of Wrath Analysis
Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath offers many windows on real life in Midwest America in the 1930s. But it also offers a powerful social commentary, both directly in structure and indirectly in characters. Typical of very many, the Joads are driven off the land by far away banks and set out on a journey to California to find a better life. However the journey tears the family apart. Their dreams of fortune and prosperity are reduced to the simple desire to stay a family. California promised to be the land of milk and honey but unfortunately turns to sour grapes. In the same way, the hopes and dreams of a generation turned to wrath and resentment. Steinbeck affords an open ground of this catastrophe for public examination by use of language and structure.
The novel is harshly realistic. With the Joads as they travel, we meet the dark underside of capitalism with its forsaken poverty, its inhuman greed and the dehumanization of the individual, and sense a compromised trust between government and people. The truth of the journey contains wounded
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
RC Sheriff (view all)
- Journeys End
- In Journey's End Which Character Do You Feel Sympathetic Tow...
- Journey's End
- Compare and Contrast the Presentation of the Psychological E...
- Stanhope is a character in whom there is much to admire, bu...
- Discuss how R.C.Sherriff manages to describe the horrific ef...
- How does Sherriff introduce the characters of Raleigh, Stanh...
- Do you have any sympathy at all for Hibbert? Give evidence f...
- Explore the ways in which Sherriff makes this such a dramati...
- Explore Raleigh and Stanhopes relationship and compare their...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Zoey. University Student.