- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Great Expectations Effectiveness of chapter 1
The first 200 words of this essay...
How effective are the opening and closing chapters of 'Great Expectations.'
The novel, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens was written between December 1860 and August 1861, and was published in instalments in a magazine. Charles Dickens was known as a 'social reformer' and many of his novels reflect on poverty, justice and punishment in novels such as Oliver Twist, Nicholas Nickleby and Great Expectations. Charles Dickens was also concerned about prison systems and he campaigned long and hard against public executions, using his fame to bring the horrors of the situation to light.
The first chapter of Great Expectations establishes important information in terms of character, action, and the plot which aims to entice the reader to read on. Charles Dickens used a lot of suspense in the novel; in addition he made each of the instalments end with a cliff-hanger to persuade readers to buy the next issue, which would definitely gives the reader a purpose for buying the following part of Great Expectations. Great Expectations can be also considered semi-autobiographical of Charles Dickens as it is based on his own experience of life and people. The novel is written in the style of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Great Expectations (view all)
- Social and Historical Background to 'Great Expectations'.
- Description of Graveyard in Great Expectations
- Wemmick - Character Analysis.
- Great Expectations- Miss Havisham
- Great expectations.In comparing Chapter's 1 and 39 the simil...
- Explore the ways Dickens presents the relationship between P...
- Great Expectations - create a monologue for Miss Havisham.
- How does Dickens show tension in the relationship between Jo...
- How Does Dickens Present the Character Mrs Joe Throughout Ch...
- The Characters of Jaggers and Orlick in "Great Expectat...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.