- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Guilty or victim? - essay about The Force of Circumstance by W. Somerset Maugham
The first 200 words of this essay...
Guilty or victim?
/essay about The Force of Circumstance by W. Somerset Maugham/
Maugham's work was one of my favourite short stories during the semester. So it was out of question which story I would like to write about.
The Force of Circumstance has touched me very much even when I read it for the first time. It was easy for me to understand in two senses. Firstly, Maugham's language usage is very clear and understandable. Secondly, he tells a tale about a perpetual problem in connection with trust. Though the story takes place in a far and exotic country, it can happen anywhere, anytime and with any of us. So this story is everlasting and it remains relevant in every era.
It is about the collapse of a marriage between Doris, an English girl and Guy, a man from Sembulu. They were made one after only a short acquaintance. They moved into Guy's home and they seemed to be very happy. But something happened. A native woman appeared and everything went wrong. It turned out that before Doris she had belonged to Guy and they had three children. Doris asked for time to think over
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Miscellaneous (view all)
- Shrek essay
- Book Review - Harry Potter (Deathly Hallows)
- Explorer's Daughter
- Romeo and Juliet
- What qualities helped the Boys Survive their Re-education
- The stories of Macbeth and Frankenstein are two texts depict...
- Compare the ways in which the two writers create an atmosphe...
- Compare how Orwell, a British novelist writing in the 1940s,...
- In the stories, The Meaning of Elephants and The Last Class,...
- Money and Happiness, It Never Works Together. In Goodbye Co...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'