- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Handmaids - Explore the portrayal of Serena Joy and the Commander in the early part of the novel. Also estimate their characters importance in the novel.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Handmaids Essay: - Holly Blackham.
Explore the portrayal of Serena Joy and the Commander in the early part of the novel. Also estimate their characters importance in the novel.
Serena Joy is portrayed as a frustrated, hostile and rude woman who is full of hate; which in some respects you could say she is, but her character runs much more deeply than is first apparent to the reader. This is portrayed through her characters words, actions and pursuits in many different ways.
An example of this is her frustration at the little amount of freedom she is allowed. Although when compared to a character like, Offred she has a lot of freedom, she feels she doesn't,
'It is a little thing, but in this household little things mean a lot.', 'Many of the wives have such gardens, it's something for them to order and maintain and care for.'
By having a garden like this, and being allowed to take charge of it, and look after it, she feels this gives her some importance in the community. It is a distraction, a place of escape for her from the life that she
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Margaret Atwood (view all)
- The Handmaid's Tale - What are the main methods of control i...
- The Handmaid's Tale. Chapter 10 - Textual Analysis.
- Women in the Handmaid's Tale: Objectification and Value in R...
- Discuss The Handmaids Tale as a significant dystopian novel....
- How does the extract affect the whole story? ("The Pers...
- Conformity in Margaret Atwood's Novel: The Handmaid's Tale
- The Handmaid's tale - the character of the Commander
- Handmaid's Tale - the character of Offred.
- HM Essay
- The Handmaid tale essay
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.