- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
"Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad - A character analysis of Kurtz.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Kurtz is the man who Marlow searches for through the Congo. Marlow's search develops into an obsession and when the search has ended, he only finds a shadow of a man that was once Kurtz. Kurtz was a man who had achieved great things in his life, inspiring each person he had come across and was expected to accomplish more. He came into the Congo with great plans for civilizing the natives, however he became greedy, which ended up being the subject of his own demise.
'I had immense plans...I was on the threshold of great things'.
Kurtz's main characteristics were his ability to talk passionately to people and inspire them with his words. He had a charisma that made people feel that he was some kind of a genius. Kurtz was a very talented human being, gifted in many areas. He could not be pinned down to a specific talent. He was seen as a great musician to his cousin that Marlow visits, a brilliant politician and leader of men to the journalist and a genius and humanitarian to his intended. Marlow views him as a universal genius.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Joseph Conrad (view all)
- Analysis of the short story 'Examination Day'.
- Compare Kurtz's African woman to "his Intended" an...
- Character analysis of Marlow - Heart of Darkness by Joseph C...
- Representation of Women In Heart of Darkness.
- Explore how the authors present the 'darkness' of the human ...
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.