- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
How does Arthur miller show Abigails character in The Crucible.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Throughout act one Abigail is the only character that is omnipresent. At first she seems to be an innocent child however it soon changes. As the play goes on we learn that Abigail is manipulative and cunning to get her own way.
In addition she does this to persuade her uncle that she is innocent, and she has nothing to do with Betty or witch craft. Therefore the audience are confused and don't know how to respond to her.
Abigail behaves differently with different characters, with John Proctor she is more open and every emotional also he is her weakness; he makes her feel loved but not the way Abigail thinks or wants. "You loved me John proctor and whatever sin it is, you love me yet."
The words "Love, sin" are oxymoron's as well it shows that Abigail is bewildered, utterly puzzled and her emotions are taking over her.
However with Betty she is powerful, strong and contently controlling. She is extremely manipulative to get her own way. On the other hand she clearly display her desperation to be with John proctor and shows how she can face vulnerability. This shows she
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Other Authors (view all)
- Analysis of A Hero by R.K Narayan
- The Vendetta Short Story Analysis
- Heroes by Robert Cormier How does the relationship between ...
- To what extent are the characters in "Heroes" by R...
- Discuss Nick Hornby s presentation of Marcus in chapters 1-1...
- What do we learn about the state of the country from the ope...
- Analysis of The Telegram a short story by writer Iain Crich...
- Charles by Shirley Jackson Analysis
- "Father and Son". Bernard MacLavertys use of a var...
- Analysis of "The Destructors" by Graham Greene
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.