- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
How does Russell reveal to the audience the change in Rita's character? 'Educating Rita' by Willy Russell.
The first 200 words of this essay...
How does Russell reveal to the audience the change in Rita's character?
'Educating Rita' by Willy Russell tells the story of 'Rita' White, a twenty-six year old working class hairdresser, who has realised there is more to life than new clothes, hairstyle and babies. She wants to get an education to improve both herself and her quality of life. Rita begins an Open University course and gets a tutor, Frank, who helps her in her quest for educational development. The play shows us Rita's development and how this changes her as a person. We also see a relationship develop between her and Frank and how this affects both their lives. In this essay I will trace the ways in which she develops and changes as a character, and the significant ways Russell portrays this change to the audience.
Some of the themes in the play are class, culture, change, gender, stereotypes, education, innocence vs experience, discovery, misunderstanding and mismatch. Themes convey many important ideas in this play. This essay title examines the important theme throughout the play of change, as Rita develops and changes into an independent and confident person. How Russell represents the theme change in
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Educating Rita (view all)
- Life is a struggle, sometimes you have to lose something in ...
- In scene 5, the relationship between Rita and Denny appears ...
- Montana 1948 traces David's journey from innocence to an awa...
- "Montana 1948 is a novel about the struggle between hon...
- Janice Galloway's short story 'Someone Had To' - review
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student