- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
In "Lamb to the Slaughter," Roald Dahl effectively develops the protagonist, MaryMaloney both directly and indirectly.
The first 200 words of this essay...
*Character Sketch Essay
Character Essay Characterization is a method an author chooses to develop his/her character, is a very
important element in a story. In "Lamb to the Slaughter," Roald Dahl effectively develops the protagonist, Mary
Maloney both directly and indirectly; however, the use of indirect characterization is more dominant because it
reveals her actions and how she deals with her conflict, her words, and creating a dynamic character with her
words and personality, such as her calmness and serenity, her self-consciousness and lastly her deceitfulness.
In the beginning of the short story "Lamb to the slaughter," the main character Mary Maloney, portrays her
calm and serene character trait in various different scenes. As a role throughout her daily life routine, Mary is a
perfect and devoted house wife, "there was a slow smiling air about her, and about everything she did... was
curiously tranquil." (Dahl 10) The following quote expresses her as a calm and serene person by how tranquil her
actions was, and how she was physically and mentally through her day-to-day life. Mary Maloney awaits
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Roald Dahl (view all)
- Lamb to the Slaughter and Vendetta
- Compare and Contrast the two short stories Lamb to the slaug...
- Comparing Roald Dahl's 'Lamb to the Slaughter' 1954 and 'The...
- Compare and Contrast Roald Dahl's Lamb to the Slaughter with...
- The speckled band and The lamb to the slaughter
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.