- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
In scene one, the reader is introduced to the unlikely pair, Iago - an ensign in the Venetian army - and Roderigo - a nobleman. Who are in furious discussion about the secret elopement of Othello and Desdemona, Iago
The first 200 words of this essay...
In the opening scene, the play's villain, Iago, openly declares his type of character, his intentions and his motivations. All of which then continue to underline each of his actions, as the plot continues to unfold. Through his careful twisting of the facts and opportunities that are presented to him, Imago is able to direct, position and influence each of the other characters in order to achieve his objective.
In scene one, the reader is introduced to the unlikely pair, Iago - an ensign in the Venetian army - and Roderigo - a nobleman. Who are in furious discussion about the secret elopement of Othello and Desdemona, Iago is particularly very disgruntled about being passed over for promotion, in favour of Cassio, who played an important role in arranging the wedding.
"[...] Despise me, if I do not. Three great ones of the city, In personal suit to make me his lieutenant, Off-capp'd him: and, by the faith of man, I know my price, I am worth no worse a place: But he; as loving his own pride and purposes, Evades them, with a bombast circumstance [...] Nonsuits my mediators; for, 'Certes,' says he, 'I have already
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Othello (view all)
- Is Othello a 'noble hero' brought down by 'a devil of motive...
- Discuss the social context that influences Othello's labelli...
- Analyse the methods Iago uses to bring about Othello's downf...
- In Act III Scene III, what techniques and dramatic devices a...
- Why Act 3, Scene 3 is a significant turning point in Othello
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.