- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
In this essay I will comment on why Rita wants to change and the devices that Willy Russell uses to show these changes to the audience.
The first 200 words of this essay...
In this essay I will comment on why Rita wants to change and the devices that Willy Russell uses to show these changes to the audience. "Educating Rita" by Willy Russell tells the story of "Rita", a twenty-six year old hairdresser, who is trying to find herself and the changes she goes through to do just that.
As Rita enters Frank office she uses very informal language. A lot different from the ordinary student. Rita's first, clumsy entry reflects her social inferiority rattling at the door knob and unable to get in. Finding it difficult to break into Frank's world, her strong Liverpudlion accent clearly identifies her as coming from a completely different background. However, there is an air determination about her which Frank finds impossible to ignore. She is like a "breath of air", different from all the other students, and it is this freshness which is so appealing. When talking about the picture of a nude religious scene hanging on Frank's wall, Rita asks her tutor whether or not he thinks of it as erotic. On hearing Frank's reply, "I suppose it is", Rita's reaction is to state, "There's no suppose about it Look at those tits".
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Educating Rita (view all)
- ‘Educating Rita’ shows how a comedy can ra...
- Discuss the themes of social class and education in Educatin...
- "Montana 1948 is a novel about the struggle between hon...
- Educating Rita. Willy Russell must use dramatic devices to k...
- Educating Rita - summary.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.