- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Inspector's role in An Inspector Calls.
The first 200 words of this essay...
in An Inspector Calls.
The scene for this novel is set in 1912, just before the war and
during the time when the country was still very dogmatic, preventing
the working classes from basic democracies. Written by J.B. Priestly
in 1946, "An Inspector Calls" takes us into the comfortable and
complacent world of the Birling family who are disturbed during a
celebration of Sheila and Gerald's engagement, by the arrival of a
mysterious police inspector. A young girl has committed suicide and it
is revealed how all members of one family contributed to it. The
clever novel resorts to the ripping off of masks that people at the
top, with some sort of authority frequently wear. Unlike other novels,
just when we the audience are tiring of discoveries, the whole action
is given a dramatic twist and everyone is caught up in the unfolding
events. When each member of the Birling family find out that all of
them played a part in the death of Eva Smith, they
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
J.B. Priestley (view all)
- Discuss The Role Of Eric Birling In The Play: An Inspector C...
- Discussthe role of the Inspector in the play 'An Inspector C...
- Priestley presents ideas about responsibility in an 'An Insp...
- How does Priestley show that tension is at the heart of the ...
- Character Analysis - Gerald Croft.
- An Inspector Calls: Do you think Mrs Birling is more to blam...
- An Inspector Calls Extract - Act One. W h a t d o e s t ...
- Explore the Development of the Character of Sheila in 'An In...
- How does Priestly portray Mr Birling in Act 1?
- How is Eva Smith presented in the play? What is the function...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.