- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
"Journey's End" By R.C Sherriff - Discuss and describe Sherriffs presentation of the following themes: Cowardice, Heroism, Comradeship and Friendship
The first 200 words of this essay...
By R.C Sherriff
Discuss and describe Sherriffs presentation of the following themes:
* Comradeship and Friendship
Journey's End is a play about the full horror and futility of the trench welfare in the First World War. During the war, the playwright R.C Sherriff was an officer who was wounded in battle. He bases the play upon his real life experiences - mirroring the way he and his comrades fought and lived, re-living some of his past experiences. The play gives the audience a clear insight into the reality of life at war and explores the harsh conditions experienced by soldiers and officers at the front line. Sherriff showed a lot of different themes in his play, which made it very effective.
R.C Sherriff presents many different ways in which men reacted to the pressures of the First World War. He uses Hibbert to show the way some of the soldiers reacted, and then presents the opposite view of Stanhope who, despite being typical perfect solider, still has is moments of fear and self-doubt. He uses Osborne to represent bravery, courage and heroism. And finally he
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
RC Sheriff (view all)
- Journey to the Interior by Margaret Atwood.
- What contribution does the chosen character (Hibbert) make t...
- Inner journey and Benigini's 'Life is Beautiful'
- Journey's End- Captain Stanhope Character Study
- "Journey's End" by R.C. Sherriff - A dramatic anal...
- Discuss how R.C.Sherriff manages to describe the horrific ef...
- How does Sherriff introduce the characters of Raleigh, Stanh...
- Do you have any sympathy at all for Hibbert? Give evidence f...
- Explore the ways in which Sherriff makes this such a dramati...
- Explore Raleigh and Stanhopes relationship and compare their...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.