- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Lord of the Flies - "We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages", Page 42, Chapter 2. Discuss Jack's statement in the light of events if Chapters 1 - 5.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Palvinder Mann 10G Engish Mrs.Marshall 1st October 2004
Essay Question: "We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages", Page 42, Chapter 2. Discuss Jack's statement in the light of events if Chapters 1 - 5.
This particular statement seems to be contradicted and supported during various parts of the story. When Jack first makes this statement, he is not aware of what lies in their future, and how they will take their first steps into savagery in order to satisfy their need to survive on the island upon which darkness and doubt has descended after the ecstasy of freedom had been spent.
In chapter 1, the boys are excited about their freedom, especially since there are no adults to tell them what to do. But their old ways somehow make them continue to adhere to their civilised ways and they quickly elect a leader (Ralph) and decide what should be done. Obviously, the boys still display some of their child-like qualities, for example when Ralph was teasing Piggy about his name. But Ralph is the boy who shows the qualities of a leader. He manages to spread peace
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
William Golding (view all)
- Lord of the flies. How does Golding make Simon such a signi...
- Lord of the Flies
- Less Obvious Symbols in Lord of the Flies
- Fear of the Unknown- Lord of the Flies
- Lord of the Flies Savagery vs Civilization
- Golding - Lord of the Flies extract - confronting the beast.
- I will explore how the themes of civilisation and barbarity ...
- Lord of the Flies -Symbolism and the Character of Jack.
- Macbeth by Shakespeare and Lord of the Flies by William Gold...
- How Does Golding Use The Island As A Character In Lord Of Th...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.