- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Lord of the Flies. Why is there an argument for saying that Gift for the Darkness is the most important chapter in the novel?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Why is there an argument for saying that 'Gift for the Darkness' is the most important chapter in the novel?
It is argued that 'Gift for the Darkness' is the most important chapter in the novel because it is not only a pivotal point in the story line, but also holds significant symbolic value at various points during the chapter.
Right from the start of the chapter we see major changes in the main characters. After fleeing from the mountain top after apparently seeing the Beast (the dead parachutist) the boys are in a state of panic. In their terrified state there is now no denying from the boys of the beasts existence. Even Ralph who had previously tried to dispel rumours of the beast has 'seen' it and so has been swamped by the fear affecting the other boys. The fact that Ralph now believes in the beast also has a resounding effect on Piggy. Although Piggy has a high devotion to scientific thought and logic, his immense loyalty to Ralph causes him to (very reluctantly) believe in the beast, 'Are you sure? Really sure, I mean?' This is extremely difficult for Piggy to except because it
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
William Golding (view all)
- Fear of the Unknown- Lord of the Flies
- Lord of the flies: How does Golding Present the Loss of Inn...
- Compare and Contrast the Writer's treatment of the Themes of...
- Read the passages in Chapter 3 where Jack and Simon are each...
- Growing Up- Lord of the Flies
- I will explore how the themes of civilisation and barbarity ...
- Lord of the Flies -Symbolism and the Character of Jack.
- Macbeth by Shakespeare and Lord of the Flies by William Gold...
- How Does Golding Use The Island As A Character In Lord Of Th...
- How does Golding convey the differences between Jack, Simon ...
""Zoey. University Student.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.