- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Lord of the Flies
The first 200 words of this essay...
A group of boys have been stranded on an isolated tropical island, after escaping from their shot - down plane. A large disfigurement was created in the untouched jungle, symbolizing the first of man's destruction on the island; it was not going to be the last.
The first characters we meet are Ralph and Piggy. Ralph who represents democracy and order, whilst Piggy represents intelligence and social order. They realize that the island is uninhibited and that civilization does not exist, and if it did it would be on their terms. This excites them and so they explore the island, until a conch is found. The Conch is symbolic of common sense and discipline. Its beauty strikes us when Ralph and Piggy find it, but it is forgotten as they put it to use to call the other survivors.
Leaders are elected and rules are set but for how long will they be kept? Friendships deteriorate as leadership is questioned. The rules of home dictate their initial behavior, as all the boys respond to how they have been nurtured.
Ralph is a twelve-year-old boy archetypal, very British boy, whose father is in the navy.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
William Golding (view all)
- Compare and Contrast the presentation of Good and Evil in 'D...
- "Ralph wept for the end of innocence, the darkness of m...
- As an actor, outline your approach to the development of the...
- Lord Of The Flies Quotes and analysis.
- A Critical Analysis on the Writing style of William Golding.
- I will explore how the themes of civilisation and barbarity ...
- Lord of the Flies -Symbolism and the Character of Jack.
- Macbeth by Shakespeare and Lord of the Flies by William Gold...
- How Does Golding Use The Island As A Character In Lord Of Th...
- How does Golding convey the differences between Jack, Simon ...
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.