- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Macbeth Act 1, scene 5 Analysis.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Act 1, scene 5 Analysis Coursework
At Inverness, Lady Macbeth reads a letter from Macbeth telling of his meeting with the witches. She fears that his nature is not ruthless enough, is "too full o' th' milk of human kindness," to murder Duncan and assure the completion of the witches' prophesy. He has ambition enough, she claims, but lacks the gumption to act on it. She then implores him to hurry home so that she can "pour [her] spirits in [his] ear," in other words, goad him on to the murder he must commit. When a messenger arrives with the news that Duncan is coming, Lady Macbeth calls on the heavenly powers to "unsex me here" and fill her with cruelty, taking from her all natural womanly compassion. When Macbeth arrives, she greets him as Glamis and Cawdor and urges him to "look like th'innocent flower, / but be the serpent under t," and states that she will make all the preparations for the king's visit and subsequent murder.
If Macbeth is indecisive, Lady Macbeth is just the opposite a character with such a single vision and drive for advancement that she cannot help but bring
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Macbeth (view all)
- What dramatic techniques are used in Shakespeare’s ...
- How does Lady Macbeth persuade Macbeth to kill the King?
- The Witches Are to Blame for Macbeth's downfall
- Diary entries for Lady Macbeth on reading Macbeth's letter, ...
- Compare and Contrast the Characters of Macbeth and Banquo
- I will construct an analysis of the two main female characte...
- How does Shakespeare use the relationship between Macbeth an...
- Explore the way the theme of the supernatural is presented i...
- Arthur Millers play The Crucible and William Shakespeares pl...
- How Do The Witches Create Confusion In "Macbeth"?
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.