- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Mr Rochester and Jane are equals, if not in social status, certainly in intellect, spirit and temperament. How far do you agree that Jane and Mr Rochester are suited for one another, with one close reference to the text? Jane Eyre.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Charlotte Bronte and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Mr Rochester and Jane are equals, if not in social status, certainly in intellect, spirit
How far do you agree that Jane and Mr Rochester are suited for one another, with one
close reference to the text?
I agree that Jane and Mr Rochester are suited to one another, not in most of the novel, but at the end when they become of equal social status.
At the time the novel was written, the difference in social status between Jane and Mr Rochester would have meant that they were not suited to one another and people at that time would not have accepted their relationship. Jane is considered to have a lower social status than Mr Rochester because she is only a governess that works for him and is supported by him. Mr Rochester is clearly of a higher social status because he had lots of money and land. This shows that they were at opposite ends of the social ladder, which means therefore that any relationship that they had with each other wouldn't be accepted by the Victorian society. Charlotte Brontë is telling us that their relationship wouldn't have been
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Charlotte Bronte (view all)
- Did the Normans build a Motte and Bailey castle at Rochester...
- How does Charlotte Bronte Use setting to convey the experien...
- Comparison of ‘Jane Eyre’ with ‘W...
- Jane Eyre's character through chapters 1-4.
- Jane Eyre: An Independent Woman?
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.