- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Of Mice and Men Chapter 4 - "They Left all the weak ones here"
Are you in the right place?
Jump to John Steinbeck and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Chapter 4 English Essay
"They left all the weak ones here"
Due to George thinking that Lennie may embarrass him, Lennie is in Crooks' room. "Slim an' George an' ever'body [went into town]. George says I gotta stay here an' not get in no trouble. I seen your light." This implies that George was telling Lennie to stay at the ranch. Presumably, George had Lennie to do this as he wanted some time away from George. As Lennie did not ask for a proper reason, and obeyed George, he simply stayed at the ranch. This shows that Lennie lacks the mental strength to question George, and the will to defy George and socialise with fellow ranch workers.
In 1930s America, laws were set by the government which discriminated against coloured people, and there were laws which would now be considered racist and against the US Constitution. Crooks is not allowed in the bunk house because of this racism. "[I'm not wanted] Cause I'm black. They play cards in there, but I can't play because I'm black. They say I stink. Well, I tell you, you all of you stink to me." Crooks is not allowed in
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
John Steinbeck (view all)
- How does Steinbeck present the character of Crooks...
- How does Steinbeck use animals to show the themes in "O...
- Explore the Significance of Curley's Wife in 'Of Mice and Me...
- The Outsider (Of Mice and Men)
- RELATIONSHIPS AND LONELINESS IN "OF MICE AND MEN"...
- How does Steinbeck make his portrayal of Curleys wife so mem...
- In "Of Mice and Men" is Curley's Wife a Hero or a ...
- In the Novella, Of Mice and Men", Steinbeck introduces...
- How does Steinbeck present the hope of dream in contrast to ...
- 'Crooks is the loneliest person on the ranch, explore'
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.