- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Of Mice And Men --- How does Steinbeck present the relationship between George and Lennie in section 1 to 3?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to John Steinbeck and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Of Mice and Men
Q: How does Steinbeck present the relationship between George and Lennie in these sections?
Steinbeck presents the relationship between George and Lennie by utilizing a number of literary techniques and devices, particularly in the first 3 section. The skilled and careful presentation of this relationship forms the foundation upon which almost all of the novella's prevailing themes are structured, from the preciousness of companionship to the futility of dreams (and, in particular, the so-called American Dream).
The first paragraph focussing on the men (second paragraph, page 4) opens with the sentence: "They had walked single file down the path, and even in the open one stayed behind the other". Immediately, Steinbeck portrays the essence of George and Lennie's relationship through this first quote about the men: that this relationship had a hierarchy; it was a leader-and-follower relationship, with one member guiding the other. The entire book revolves around this concept (George being Lennie's carer as Lennie cannot lead himself), so it is appropriate that Steinbeck chooses this idea to be the cornerstone of the reader's understanding of their relationship.
However, in order to avoid any assumption that
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
John Steinbeck (view all)
- How does Steinbeck present the character of Crooks...
- How does Steinbeck use animals to show the themes in "O...
- Explore the Significance of Curley's Wife in 'Of Mice and Me...
- The Outsider (Of Mice and Men)
- RELATIONSHIPS AND LONELINESS IN "OF MICE AND MEN"...
- How does Steinbeck make his portrayal of Curleys wife so mem...
- In "Of Mice and Men" is Curley's Wife a Hero or a ...
- In the Novella, Of Mice and Men", Steinbeck introduces...
- How does Steinbeck present the hope of dream in contrast to ...
- 'Crooks is the loneliest person on the ranch, explore'
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.