- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Othello Essay. How Iago uses language to deceive.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Othello and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Othello is a play written by William Shakespeare, it is a play is about Othello, a general in the army of Vietnam. The play revolves around the lies and pretentiousness of an increasingly cunning character known as Iago .The literary device Shakespeare incorporates into Iago's speech reinforces Iago's villainous personality and enables him to make major impacts. Metaphors are used in Iago's speech to emphasise the crudeness of his phrases. There is also an ironic aspect to certain comments that Iago makes, this irony portrays his false nature. Lastly, Iago uses similes in a convincing manner as to manipulate his victims. The imagery and literary devices compounded with the character of Iago exhibit his villainy in the play.
At the beginning of the play, Iago brings the news of the marriage between Othello and Desdemona to Roderigo. Iago and Roderigo decide to go and visit Desdemona's father, in order to "plague him with flies"(1.1.73). This imagery is a metaphor that is used to mean that the two characters are going to torment Brabantio with the false news of the elopement of his daughter. Plague in the imagery means to torment or to bring bad news while
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Othello (view all)
- Act 3 scene 3 is a pivotal scene in the play Othello. How do...
- What techniques does Shakespeare use, in order to involve th...
- Othello's fate is inextricably linked to characters such as ...
- Act 3, Scene 3, Othello.
- Analyse the methods Iago uses to bring about Othello's downf...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Zoey. University Student.