- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Othello - Shakespeare
The first 200 words of this essay...
Othello GCSE assignment
Othello is one of Shakespeare's great tragedies; it is one of Shakespeare's finest moments. It is a play that interests the audience straight away and keeps them interested with Desdemona's great love for Othello, Othello's dissension into a murderer, Roderigo's obsession with Desdemona and Iago's evil plotting. With so much going on Shakespeare can use dramatic devices with ease, he can plant ideas into the reader's minds and he also manages to use the play to show his views on the world around him.
This play has many deeper thoughts running through it such as the marriage between black Othello and white Desdemona. While this isn't frowned upon that much in the play, - in fact, most of the characters look up to him and call him names such as "valiant Moor," showing their respect. I think that Shakespeare is making a stance towards racial equality especially by placing Othello as highest-ranking officer in Cyprus. The other point that is shown in the play is the role of women in the play. There are three main women in the play, Desdemona, the wife of Othello; Emilia, the wife of Iago; and Bianca, the girlfriend of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Othello (view all)
- Is Othello a 'noble hero' brought down by 'a devil of motive...
- Discuss the social context that influences Othello's labelli...
- Analyse the methods Iago uses to bring about Othello's downf...
- In Act III Scene III, what techniques and dramatic devices a...
- 'Othello', Iago's soliloquy act 1 scene 3.
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.