- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Poetry Comparison: The two Love poems 'A Woman to Her Lover' by Christina Walsh and 'To His Coy Mistress' by Andrew Marvel
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Comparative Essays and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Poetry Comparison: The two Love poems 'A Woman to Her Lover' by Christina Walsh and 'To His Coy Mistress' by Andrew Marvel.
In this essay I am going to compare the two poems 'A Woman to Her Lover' by Christina Walsh, written in the middle of the nineteenth century and 'To His Coy Mistress' by Andrew Marvell, from the seventeenth century. Each of the two poems show a different gender perspective and the different views on marriage in the society at the time they were written. Christina Walsh's poem reflects the inferior view of women in the Victorian era. However in the seventeenth century when 'To His Coy Mistress' was written there was an unwritten rule of courtly love where the woman had the choice of who she marries and to achieve a woman's love a man would have to almost worship her.
The titles of both poems start the idea of opposite gender perspectives; feminism and chauvinism. In 'A Woman to Her Lover' the word 'her' suggests a feminist voice speaking for all women. This is reinforced by the use of indefinite article 'A Woman' suggesting Christina Walsh is speaking for a universal group.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Comparisons (view all)
- London 1802 by William Wordsworth Ode to a Nightingale by Jo...
- Compare and contrast To His Coy Mistress and John Donnes The...
- The importance of being Ernest. Who is more honest and honou...
- COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TYGER AND THE LAMB
- Sonnet Essay
- How does John Donne and Emily Dickinson portrays the theme o...
- Compare and contrast the presentation of seduction in Marve...
- How have emotional voices in Romeo and Juliet and The Labora...
- Compare and Contrast how Blake and Wordsworth depict London
- Compare and Contrast the poem "Father and Son" by ...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo