- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Prose Study Coursework: How does Jane Austen Present Marriage and the Marriage Market in the novel Pride and Prejudice.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Prose Study Coursework: How does Jane Austen Present Marriage and the Marriage Market in the novel Pride and Prejudice
In the novel Pride and Prejudice Jane Austen presents marriage as a key part of life in the late eighteenth century, early nineteenth century. Pride and Prejudice, similar Jane Austen's other novels, is written with refined satire and with a very clear observance of human relationships. It has been said Jane Austen saw all of life through a teacup. That through the small narrow world of social interaction that she lived and wrote about, the fact there was all of human emotion and feelings and behaviour reflected. Marriage was considered the most respectable option for women in the nineteenth century England; marriage would give a woman or man status. Such concern with marriage also represented the social inferiority of women and the clear distinction between male and female roles in the society. Few professions were open for women of the genteel classes, so their social status and income were determined by whom they married. The only profession available to young ladies was that of being a governess, which meant educating the daughters of a family, but this was a job
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Jane Austen (view all)
- An exploration of Men and Women's relationships in Jane Aust...
- Satire and irony in Pride and Prejudice.
- "I must confess that I think her as delightful a creatu...
- The theme of love and marriage in "Pride and Prejudice&...
- Discuss the use Jane Austen makes of letters in her novel Pr...
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.