- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Read the opening of the play. In what ways is this a good introduction to the play's main characters and themes? Do you think that Willy Russell has made his opening dramatic and entertaining?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Title: Read the opening of the play. In what ways is this a good introduction to the play's main characters and themes? Do you think that Willy Russell has made his opening dramatic and entertaining?
Educating Rita is a play set in Liverpool in the 1970's, Willy Russell tells the story of a twenty six year old working as a hairdresser called Rita White. Rita is trying to "discover" herself and she wants to achieve this by getting herself an education. She arrives at an open university, where she meets her tutor Frank. Frank has a very dismissive attitude towards his students, but over whelmed and flattered by Rita's differences and individuality, in both social class and behaviour, he doesn't treat her like the other students, but has a keen interest in her. Over time of attending Frank's tutorials and lectures, Rita gradually progresses building up the education she longed for. After passing her exams with a much deserved distinction, she finally feels that she has discovered herself and has come to fully understand herself. In this essay I will analyse to see whether the opening of the play is a good introduction to the main characters
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Educating Rita (view all)
- Discuss the ways in which Russell's vision for 'Educating Ri...
- Once upon a Time in the West: A Critical Response.
- Educating Rita is a funny play dealing with serious issues -...
- Compare the different ways in which Willy Russell creates hu...
- How does Willy Russell establish the differences between Fra...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo