- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Refer to D.H. Lawrence’s ‘Last Lesson of the Afternoon’ and B. Patten’s ‘Dead Thick.’ Compare and contrast where appropriate. In your concluding comments, say which you prefer and why.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Task: Refer to D.H. Lawrence's 'Last Lesson of the Afternoon' and B. Patten's 'Dead Thick.' Compare and contrast where appropriate. In your concluding comments, say which you prefer and why.
'Last Lesson of the Afternoon' and 'Dead Thick' are to poems by D.H Lawrence and Brian Patten respectively. 'Last Lesson of the Afternoon' expresses a mood of bitter desperation at the thanklessness of an English teachers' work and details his thoughts as he yearns for the conclusion of the lesson. He conveys his thoughts in a unique and entertaining way. Patten also uses an English teacher as his subject in 'Dead Thick'. The teacher is very hypocritical and seems to be answering a series of questions. The title 'Dead Thick' illuminates the teachers' ironic lack of intelligence as a teacher and his lack of passion is evident.
In 'Last Lesson of the Afternoon' the teachers weariness, 'I can haul them and urge them no more' and negative state of mind, 'No longer now can I endure the brunt of the books...' are highlighted throughout by the choice of verbs. He seems to be totally exasperated and seems only to be in the job
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
DH Lawrence (view all)
- Compare the two poems, 'The Best of School' and 'Last Lesson...
- In "The Rocking-Horse Winner" by D.H. Lawrence, th...
- Comparison Essay: The Shades of Spring & Things by D.H L...
- "Examine DH Lawrence's 'Mountain Lion' and 'Snake', sho...
- Refer to D.H. Lawrence's 'Last Lesson of the Afternoon' and ...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.