- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Response To Prose: The Character and Role of Simon.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Zaki Rafiq-Khatana 10Ai
Response To Prose: The Character and Role of Simon
At the beginning of the novel Simon is described by Golding as a "skinny, vivid little boy" with "black, coarse hair". He is a member of the choir. The first time the boys are all together, Simon faints giving us the impression that he is physically weak. He is later chosen by Ralph to go with him on an expedition of the island. Because he is so "vivid", he is chosen by Ralph and he also has something about him, which attracts attention which may be a reason for Ralph choosing him out of all of the boys there.
However, it is Golding's presentation of Simon's death and it's aftermath, which leaves a lasting impression on the reader. Simon's death is very different in contrast to his last journey out to sea.
Golding makes the climax of the scene using the words. During his death there is a lot of noise involved. Everyone is chanting:
"Kill the beast, cut it's throat, spill it's blood!"
Golding repeatedly includes this line in the passage. He also repeats words and phrases such
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
William Golding (view all)
- Fear of the Unknown- Lord of the Flies
- Lord of the flies: How does Golding Present the Loss of Inn...
- Read the passages in Chapter 3 where Jack and Simon are each...
- Compare and Contrast the Writer's treatment of the Themes of...
- Why is setting significant in Lord of the Flies?
- I will explore how the themes of civilisation and barbarity ...
- Lord of the Flies -Symbolism and the Character of Jack.
- Macbeth by Shakespeare and Lord of the Flies by William Gold...
- How Does Golding Use The Island As A Character In Lord Of Th...
- How does Golding convey the differences between Jack, Simon ...
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.