- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Shakespeare’s treatment of evil in Macbeth
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Perse School for girls English Literature
Centre number: 22135
Shakespeare's treatment of evil in Macbeth
It is clear right from the beginning of the play that the witches play a key role in the play. The opening scene shows the witches planning their meeting with Macbeth. Not only does this scene hold suspense and capture the audience's attention from the start of the play, it sets the atmosphere also. They meet on a moor in thunder and lightening, this portrays an evil image. This is how Shakespeare portrays evil at the start of the play.
Shakespeare used rhyming couplets for lovers and magical characters, as well as at the end of a scene to round it off. The Witches speak this certain way to stress their mysteriousness and sense of confusion. Some of their lines contradict each other and this can be very effective and powerful.
All: Fair is foul, and foul is fair
Hover through the fog and filthy air.
This is to emphasise the witches hate for good, and love for evil. Also, this would have caused tension
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Macbeth (view all)
- Lady Macbeth's Character in Macbeth.
- 'Lady Macbeth is the most interesting and disturbed characte...
- Creative writing - MacDuff's monologue
- Relevance of Macbeth Today
- How does Shakespeare present Lady Macbeth's character and ho...
- Macbeth Act 1 Scene 1 Analysis
- How does the character of Macbeth change from Act 1:3 to act...
- Macbeth's disturbed character, corruption and downfall.
- The letter, read alone by Lady Macbeth, reiterates the witch...
- Paying particular attention to act 1 scene 5 & 7, analys...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo