- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
"Shakespeare presents the character of Paulina as nothing more than an interfering and loose-tongued woman.""Paulina is presented by Shakespeare as the voice of reason within the play."How can these views be justified in the text? What is your opinion of
The first 200 words of this essay...
"Shakespeare presents the character of Paulina as nothing more than an interfering and loose-tongued woman."
"Paulina is presented by Shakespeare as the voice of reason within the play."
How can these views be justified in the text? What is your opinion of Paulina in the play?
Paulina, the wife of Antigonus is portrayed as a blunt-spoken, formidable woman who staunchly defends Hermione and absolutely will not allow Leontes to get away with his crimes. She denounces him directly to his face, taking every opportunity to remind him of the havoc his jealousy has caused, going so far as to confront him with the baby Perdita, whom he claims is not his. Furthermore, she directly challenges the King's authority and his word in declaring that the baby is his, "The whole matter the copy of the father" and in her argument of his treatment of Hermione, she says, "but this most cruel usage of your queen." To make these claims to a king who has already made up his mind is arguably a very dangerous act and one that warrants a great deal of courage from the. Her loyalty to her friends is shown by her desire to save
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
The Winters Tale (view all)
- "How far do you think that the play is about the strugg...
- Explore the way that Shakespeare uses female characters in T...
- Discuss The Presentation Of Women In The Winter’s T...
- How does Shakespeare present the role of women in the play &...
- "The Winter's Tale" written by William Shakespeare...
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Zoey. University Student.