- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Shakespeare's Use of Language in Act 3, Scene 1
The first 200 words of this essay...
Discuss the way Shakespeare uses language to portray the characters Mercutio, Tybalt and Romeo in Act III, Scene 1.
The compelling and tragic drama of "Romeo and Juliet" tells the story of two young "star-crossed lovers" whose blossoming romance is forbidden and jeopardised by the age-old rivalry of their families, which together, with chance and accident leads to fast-paced action on Verona's streets. Ultimately this leads to the premature deaths of Mercutio and Tybalt in Act III, Scene 1. The scene is a pivotal point in the play as the unfolding events trigger a chain reaction. However, it will eventually create a silver lining, which despite the surrounding heartbreak; will result in the resolution of the "ancient grudge." Throughout the play, as is evident in Act III, Scene 1, the main characters were given language by Shakespeare which would intensify the drama, set the scene and portray their emotions.
Mercutio's greatest strength lies in his facility with words. This aspect of his character is illustrated when Benvolio says: "By my head here comes the Capulets." and Mercutio replies: "By my heal I care not." (3.1.30-31) Mercutio takes Benvolio's word "head" and replaces it with "heal" showing that
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Writing to Inform, Explain and Describe (view all)
- Descriptive Writing Of A Beach
- Me, myself and my dreams
- Describe the scene of a school lunch hall
- My Nightmare
- Descriptive writing. Scene at a busy market place
- Gold: A Creative Essay
- My Experience of Immigration
- This Thing of Darkness (Recreating a line from Shakespeare a...
- Wider attitudes towards text messaging
- Creative Writing. The chief shouted his orders. Everyone ge...
- Morning of the execution. Within a few hours, her brother w...
- Describe a person you admire. Though I have lived a colou...
- Supermarket Description - Sleek, automatic, glass doors slid...
- A Foreboding Night. Ian sat on the curb, his hands buried d...
- (Descriptive Writing) Describe the sights and sounds of a ma...
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.